Friday, April 17, 2009

BOOK REVIEW
by Papa

Title: Physik (Septimus Heap, Book Three)
Authors: Angie Sage
Recommended Age: 8+
Pages:
Read-Aloud Time: 4 weeks
Rating: 6/10

In this third installment to the Septimus Heap series, Septimus gets kidnapped into a time period 500 years earlier by a famous Physik master, Marcellus Pye. For much of the book, Jenna, Nicko, Spit Fyre and a new character named Snorri, try to find him. Meanwhile, an evil queen ghost causes all kinds of trouble in the present time.

Septimus isn't in a lot of the book once he disappears, which is fairly early on. The book mainly follows the present day group on their search. I wasn't as hooked on this book as the previous two. First of all, I wasn't really worried about what would happen to Septimus. I knew that he'd come back since he's the main character of the series. Second, the small part that took place in the 500 years ago era was pretty cool and I would have liked to spend more time there. And third, I think I read this book too closely to the first two. I didn't have to wait a long time to continue their story.

Favorite Thing: Snorri Snorrelson is a really good character. She's mysterious and simple at the same time and I wanted to find out more about her.

Least Favorite Thing: I don't think there was any one thing I could dislike in this book. It just sort of dragged on in the middle and it felt like more of a chore to get to the end compared to the first two.

Questionable Material for Kids: There are ghosts in all the Septimus Heap books, but they seemed to play a more prominent role in this one. Most of the ghosts aren't in the least bit scary, but there is one who might be.

No comments: