Saturday, October 25, 2008

BOOK REVIEW
by Papa

Title: Peter and the Starcatchers
Authors: Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson
Recommended Age: 8-12
Pages: 451
Read-Aloud Time: About 3 weeks (20 minutes a day)
Rating: 8/10

Peter and the Starcatchers is a great read for both kids and adults.  Even when you know how everything turns out at the end of the book, getting to that point is a quite an adventure.  I had never read the original Peter Pan story.  I only knew what the movies Peter Pan, Hook, and Finding Neverland wanted me to know.  So, I don't know if this prequel is accurate for how it all began, but it didn't really matter.  It was easier to just imagine the characters as completely new ones.  Instead of the comical Captain Hook from the Disney movie, this one was quite serious and nasty.  Instead of the cocky and slightly annoying Peter Pan, this one was brave and selfless.

Favorite Thing: Kid A and I got a kick out of the way that Molly and the porpoises spoke - especially when Molly wasn't saying what she thought she was saying.  We also really liked Mr. Grin for some reason.  Maybe it's the name.

Least Favorite Thing:  I think the Tinkerbell introduction could have been cut and saved for another story.  I guess I'm skeptical that a bird can turn into a fairy from starstuff.  She seemed tacked on at the end to make the story all tidy.  Also, the description of the food the boys were given on the boat was pretty gruesome.  It gave me a bad taste in my mouth which, I guess, is the point.

Questionable Material for Kids:  There are battles with sailors, pirates, natives, and sea creatures that result in blood and, of course, the loss of a hand.

No comments: